Take the same basic precautions as you would traveling anywhere (including metropolitan cities in the US), Playa Del Carmen / Mexico is safe for everyone and filled with the friendliest of people. Please be sure to do your own research as well, so that you familiarize yourself with the area.
1. Use COMMON SENSE (Traveling anywhere requires a little bit of a safety precaution)
2. Travel in groups or pairs
3. Stay within the Playa Del Carmen streets day/night
4. Be aware of your surroundings
5. Don’t walk down dark unlit streets alone at night
6. Keep your valuables out of sight
CURRENCY EXCHANGE / MONEY
1. $1 US dollar is currently $19.27 pesos
2. If you are going to bring cash along with you just do your homework before. Research the best exchange rates before you leave to avoid being ripped off.
3. Use cash machines located at the bank, supermarket, or in your hotel to be extra safe.
4. Bring extra cash for tipping
*Utilize the Hotel Safe: please put anything of value in the safe every time you leave the room.
1. Have the Hotel Arrange Transportation for You: Your concierge will know what reputable taxi and transportation services there are, so allow them to help you make travel arrangements. DO NOT get in random Taxis
2. There is Uber in Mexico
1. Please keep an eye on your children at all times. Keep young children within arm’s reach of an adult. Make sure older children swim with a partner every time.
2. Pools/Beaches are not gated
3. Please teach your children Pool Safety rules
SCAMS IN MEXICO
Scams are a world-wide problem